Historically, the village of Colindres was developed favored by its geographical location and agricultural exploitation, which highlighted the cultivation of vineyards and vineyards at the end of the Middle Ages. The house of Velasco achieved the lordship of the town in the time of Henry III. Already in the seventeenth century naval construction would reach great strength, in Falgote, where a factory of galleons was installed, directed by Pedro González de Agüero.
Colindres has always been a municipality with a long seafaring tradition, although its port was not built until 1935. Currently, its main activity is the canning industry and the salting of fish, high quality products, some of which have earned the name Quality Cantabria.